| Antarctica Cruise |
History | Boots |
| Books |
Forum | Site Map
| FIDS / OAE's
©Copyright - Crown, expired
The building by the shore is the remains of the Norwegian whaling station in use until the early 1930's, there is a barrack a little further up the slope that was never completed. Much of the wood was taken from this station and barrack to help build huts and other structures for the earliest base on Signy. The first Fids huts can be seen to the top left of the photo on the way to Gash Cove.
There was a considerable amount of wood left behind by the whalers which was used to re-enforce and add to the early versions of the Fids huts.
Giant Petrels used to nest in this area, but soon stopped as a result of disturbances caused by the base.
|back to thumbnails|
|This picture is one of a collection assembled in
2007 on the 60th anniversary of Signy Island Base: 60°43'S 045°36'W.
Thank you to those who sent their treasured memories of their time in
Antarctica and allowed them to be made into a commemorative cd and then
placed here on the web.
The reunion weekend was
14-16 September 2007
The reunion weekend was 14-16 September 2007
Extreme Cold Weather Clothing
| Site Map |
Stock Photos |
History | Antarctica
Antarctic Clothing |