King Edward Point, South Georgia
South Georgia thumbnails | Previous | Next
Ulf Gustafsson, 2010 - 2011
King Edward Point or KEP, 54° 17'S, 36° 30'W in Cumberland East Bay, South Georgia has been the location of a base/research station/admin station since 1909 though not continuously.
It is currently the site of a British Antarctic Survey research station.
A base was first opened at the site in 1950 by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey using an existing building "Discovery House" built for the Discovery Investigations in 1925. This only lasted two years until 1952 when the meteorological station was transferred to the Falkland Islands.
The station re-opened in November 1969 in a purpose built building "Shackleton House", it operated until 1982 when South Georgia was invaded by Argentina who removed the British staff. When South Georgia was re-taken by the British later in 1982 it was then occupied by a British Army garrison until 2000.
The British Antarctic Survey custom built the current buildings in 2001, the base serves as a centre for fisheries research. There are about 22 people who live here through the summer months and around 13 in the winter.
Photo; copyright Ulf Gustafsson