Campbell Island Sign
Campbell Island is now a nature reserve and has been since 1954. There were however sheep and cattle up until 1984 and the 1970's respectively, both introduced in an attempt to farm the land that started in 1896 and lasted until the Great Depression caused it to be abandoned in 1931.
More recently, there has been a major rat eradication programme on Campbell Island to remove the rats introduced by sealers in 1801. This was the largest such programme in the world and the Island was declared rat-free in 2003.
Photo; © Mike Usher - Pictures from an icebreaker cruise to Eastern Antarctica.